Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Kyla Chronicles - What Happens In Vegas Part Deux

Reactions: 


Apollo had taken me to a local diner a few miles off the strip. Sasha and Damien, Apollo's friend from the club, ditched us back in the lobby. Once Sasha saw Damien, and how sexy he was, she wanted to do her own thing. I wasn't one to hate and this was Vegas! Who was I to stop her flow? Plus a little alone time with Mr. Apollo didn't seem like such a bad thing.

"So Kyla, what brings you to Vegas?", he inquired as he took a sip of coffee.

"I'm here under the guise of a convention but I just really needed some girl time."

"Why? Ya man not treating you right?" This dude just got right to it.

"Actually, I don't have a man. I just got out of a relationship and I'm really here to celebrate the break up."

"Celebrate a break up?", he asked. "Never heard that one before but ya'll women come up with a new way to move on every time I turn around, so I can't say I'm surprised. First it was a new pair of shoes or a freakum dress. Clearly you already checked that off your list 'cause you are wearing that dress." He gave me a body scan and continued, "Then it was a new haircut. Now we have divorce parties and celebratory break up trips. What's next?"

"Well ya'll men come up with new ways to screw us over every time I turn around, so maybe you should tell me what's next so I'll be better prepared next time.", I retorted.

"Okay so maybe my "ya'll women" was too broad of a generalization but it just seems like there's always a new trend. But enough with the ill conceived generalizations. I apologize for that. I'm sorry to hear about your break up."

"Thank you. I appreciate it. And an apology without me asking for it? Points for you."

"I'm man enough to admit when I've overspoken."

"That's to be determined but you get an A for effort." I said patting him on the shoulder. "So where's your girl? It's 5:30 in the morning. Do you not have some place to be? Somebody to go home to?"

"The only place I have to be is right here with you. I guess you could say I have a girl but we're going through a bit of a rough patch right now."

Here we go.

"Well listen, rough patch or not, I just got cheated on and I'm not gonna be the girl that does it to somebody else."

"That's the thing. We're in an open relationship. Well at least I thought we were. That's why we're going through a rough patch. Somewhere along the way, she wanted us to be exclusive and I just don't get down like that."

"Get down like what?", I asked confused.

"Like that.", he repeated. "Exclusively. I don't really believe in monogamy."

Here. We. Go. 
"Oh boy. You're one of those?", I asked dismissively.

"I'm one of me. When someone says something that challenges conventional standards, why is it that they have to be "one of those"? I just have my beliefs. I'm entitled."

"So what pray tell are your beliefs? That a woman doesn't deserve a man to be loyal to her and only her?", I asked daring him to say otherwise.

"Of course she deserves it. If that's what she wants she should have it.", he said taking a bite of his eggs. "But with my lady? I told her from jumpstreet that I didn't believe in monogamy. It's been a year and I still feel the same way. I have mega love for her, but what is it with women who think they can change a man? I don't get it. They like to treat you like you're a fixer upper. Their own little DIY projects. She wants a monogamous man, but she wants me too, and the two just don't mix. Hence, the rough patch."

"I guess I can understand where you're coming from. I mean you were upfront with her so you get points for that-"

"I'm just rackin' up on the points ain't I?"

"You doing aight. But tell me...why the aversion to monogamy? Some woman broke your poor lil heart didn't she?", I teased.

"Not even. It's just that I believe in marriage and spending my life with someone. I do. But all of that boyfriend/girlfriend "I'm so committed to you" is just bullshit to me. I mean you can say all you want that you're going to be faithful, but what's making you? Your word? I'm sorry, but I've just seen too many people break their word for me to go off words alone. A vow to God at least gives you someone to answer to. To be held accountable to."

"Hmmph. That's an interesting logic. But what about the road to marriage? Don't you have to at least try monogamy in the process?"

"Maybe, but every person you date is not marriage material. I enjoy my lady's company but I never said I wanted to marry her. Aside from that, her and I don't have any kids. We were put here to procreate, to reproduce. When I'm ready to do that, I'll face that as it comes. Until then, I'm not being monogamous just for the sake of it. Makes no sense to me. And let's be honest, if I was committed to her, I wouldn't be able to be having this early morning breakfast with you now would I?"

"I'm sure I would have fared alright. Besides, according to you, your word wouldn't be enough to keep you in check anyway. So it really wouldn't make much of a difference now would it?"

"Touche. I like you Kyla. You quick with it. Dude that cheated on you clearly ain't know what he had. If you woulda met me before, you probably would have made him give you more than his word as his commitment. Has Beyonce taught you nothing?", he said referencing putting a ring on it.

I laughed. "Touche right back at ya."

After some more banter and conversation, I realized that not only was Apollo as sexy as the God he was named after, the brother had some substance too. I wasn't sure I agreed with his monogamy theory but I wasn't sure I hated it either. He'd given me something to think about when it came to how I viewed relationships. Why hadn't I asked Tristan to "put a ring on it"? Maybe, I inherently knew that he wasn't who I wanted to spend my life with, but was too afraid to admit it. And why had Tristan's word been enough for me, when I know that it takes more than saying words to make them true.

Driving back to my villa, I watched the beautiful Nevada sunset. It served as a metaphor for the new day of my life. Sitting next to a new man, ready for some new experiences. I had a new attitude, and a new sense of self, so why not try something new. I was here to get over Tristan, right? So why not live a little? When we pulled up to the house I asked Apollo,

"Wanna come in?"

He sized me up and said, "I don't think I ever wanted anything more."

                                                                              ***

I knew I was gonna sleep with him. I didn't come to Vegas to be a prude and I hadn't slept with anybody besides Tristan in over 3 years. I was nervous but Apollo was sexy and I wasn't gonna pass him up. If I couldn't rebound with a fling in Vegas, then who could I rebound with?

I needed to wash off the smoke from the club and last night's make up so I told Apollo I needed a shower. Like the flirt he was, he offered to come with and I took him up on his offer. When he joined me in the shower, I was pleasantly surprised to see that his soldier was a battle force to be reckoned with. Even without being at attention. That black security shirt did a helluva job hiding the peaks and valleys of his well defined torso, because his physique was not disappointing in the least. I began to work up a soapy lather all over that beautiful chest of his and tried to reconcile myself with the idea that soon we would be connected by more than a few suds and bubbles.

After I washed his body, from head to toe and front to back, he returned the favor. His touch was the right juxtaposition of gentle strength, and I was ready to see if that translated to the bedroom. After we rinsed off, I was ready to see what it was. If I'd hit the jackpot. I lead him to the room and laid down on the bed. Not so subtly dropping the hint that breakfast at the diner was not the only thing on the menu this morning. Booty Call's "lick it before you stick it" rule still holds true in 2011. Apollo was smart though so it didn't take him long to get it. As a matter of fact, he seemed like he had no intentions of doing anything different.

As I readied myself for him and what was to come, I resolved to be open-minded and most importantly have fun. This was sex, not rocket science. Plus I knew I had that good good, so satisfying him wouldn't be the problem. Him satisfying me was another issue. Tristan had his faults but taking care of my needs wasn't one of 'em. I didn't want my first time in so long, with someone else to be some wackness but  it was now or never. Besides, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and if it was wack not only would Apollo stay there but the memory would as well.

To be continued...

No comments: