Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Letters to My Unborn Child - Don't Wait For Tomorrow - It May Not Come

Reactions: 
Hi Baby,

Mommy has a story for you. I want you to pay close attention and see what you come away with:

When Mommy was in the first grade she had a friend named Shante. We loved to be around each other, and together we were too much. We'd go to each other's houses and play dress up, run around in the schoolyard, have lunch in the cafeteria with other friends, and be chatterboxes in class (like I'm sure you probably will be too) as little girls usually are. We even got chicken pox together and our mothers had us stay at my house together, so we could have someone to play with, while we were both sick and out of school. She was my best friend.

She would often be absent from class for some reason, but never long enough to cause any worry. One day, a few days had passed since Shante'd been to school. A guidance counselor came in to talk to our class, along with our first grade teacher (Ms. Hopkins was her name). The guidance counselor sat us down as a class and told us Shante had passed away. She had been in a terrible car accident where she'd been tragically hit. I still remember how heartbroken I was as I walked home from the bus stop, to my aunt's house. It's something I'll never forget, but even more I will never forget Shante and what she taught me. And that's what I want to share with you baby.

Read More...


I think of Shante when I think of one of my first best friends. But most often, I think of her when I remember the calm her mother had over her at the funeral. You see baby, as a child Mommy couldn't understand how someone who lost their child could be so composed, or seemingly have it all together. To this day, I've never forgotten what she told me. When I expressed my condolences as only a child could, she told me in consolation, "She's in a better place now".

Baby, the reason I tell you about Shante is so that you know that the ultimate goal in life, is to make it to a "better place" when it's over. The things we do here count, and the way we treat people plays an integral part in our reaching paradise. I want you to know, you can't wait for tomorrow to do the right thing, or go after your dreams, or do God's will. Tomorrow is not promised, today is all we have. Mommy wants you to treat everyday as if it's your last day on Earth. Your last day to make an impression on the world.

In Mommy's world, you've made an impression from the day you were born, or better yet the day I found out you'd been conceived. But I want you to make an impact through the people you help, and the lives you touch. Shante was given a brief six years and the legacy she leaves, has passed on from me to you. Even the kindness that her mother showed me on probably her worst day, is one of the kindest gestures I can remember. Those are lives well lived baby, and that's all Mommy wants for you. In this life, and the next.

Love,

Mommy

10 comments:

Shannon said...

This brought tears 2 my emotional eyes!!! Lolz!!! Well put 2gether Ms. White... Your blogs r incredible!

Iesha said...

TEAR! That was BEAUTIFUL

Quonetta said...

yea i almost cried to, damn Onedia!!!

Brandie said...

Absolutely beautiful.. Took a piece of my heart..

MISS WHITE said...

Thanks ladies! It was definitely from the heart.

*The previous comments were from my FB page but I thought they were worth sharing.

Raashida said...

Nene im in total tear mode right now,im not shocked but amazed how well you've always peaced your words and thoughts together.This one hear is def.a tear jerker..Im hooked thats it.your gonna get tired of me lol.love ya girl.Your purpose to this blog makes nothing but sense, it was beautiful.

MISS WHITE said...

Thanks Shida! Love you too! Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I won't get tired of you! Come back as much as you like! Please! ;-)

Tichelle said...

Hello Ms. White. It took me longer than I expected to read your blog, but I must say it was worth the wait. Overall-this is a really good job. What you really have going for you is that you found your "voice." While reading, I felt like I was listenig to an old friend talk and that is refreshing. I have a more feedback, but I will email you.

Kudos to you!!!! I will check in on your site once a week.

Tichelle said...

SO I alreadey commented but I don't see it. Maybe it will post a little later. I'm sending you an email anyway. VERY NICE Miss White...VERY NICE!!!!

MISS WHITE said...

Thanks Tichelle! Better late than never right?! Thanks for taking the time to check out the site and for your kind words! I'm glad you like it and I look forward to more of your feedback! ;-)