Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Fell In Love All Over Again...With My President

Reactions: 

I'm back on that Obama Kool Aid

The other night, I attempted to stay awake to listen to President Obama address the nation regarding the capture of terrorist and admitted 9/11 mastermind, Osama Bin Laden. My eyes got heavy and when sleep came a callin' I answered. The next morning I woke up to mixed messages and emotions but through all the chaos, the one thing made crystal clear was that Bin Laden had indeed been captured. In addition, he was by all intents and purposes, dead.

When someone dies, our values have taught us that we should never rejoice. Instead we should treasure the life lost and honor it any way possible. Reading through the news and blogs, it was easy to see that many were divided over the murder of another human citizen as well as who should be credited for it. I see it like this....

Read More...


In 2001, myself along with a lot of other New Yorkers couldn't fathom why an attack on America by an Afghan terrorist, was used as a reason to invade Iraq. The WMD conversation has been had repeatedly so there's no need to rehash it here. But in summary, what we now know is that there were no weapons of mass destruction and the focus was unjustly shifted from the actual culprit to Saddam Hussein.

In 2004, a then relatively unknown Senator Obama, spoke at the DNC and posed the same question in so many words...why aren't we going after the people who actually attacked us?? Ten years later that young senator,who is now the President, answered his own question. Because it took him to do it. President Obama gets a lot of flack for not only being "soft on terror" but aloof as well. I find it hard to believe that he could have gotten all the way to his position by being soft by any means. He's no Jimmy Carter. Just think, he seemingly ordered the capture and murder of Bin Laden all while fielding questions about his birth certificate and roasting Donald Trump at The White House Correspondents Dinner. Now that's G. Check the video here.

The decision made by the Commander In Chief, who from Day 1 said that getting retribution and justice for the Americans we lost on 9/11/01 was a priority, should be commended. Do I relish the though of another's murder? Of course not. But here's how I look at it: If someone harmed my child in the extreme (or anyone I love but let's just go with child because most would do anything for their offspring), be it molestation, murder, or psychological abuse, I'd want them to receive capital punishment. It baffles me that some, even Americans, want to use Bin Laden as a martyr and villify Obama for doing what was necessary.

Was he not upfront about his intentions early on? Was he not voted in based on his promise to make containing Al Qaeda a priority? Are people seriously sad over the death of a man who orchestrated the brutal killing of over 3,000 of our fellow Americans? Ha! I laugh at that. People could give a damn whether Osama Bin Laden lived or died. Quite frankly, he's become a bit of an urban legend, as up until recently no one could confirm whether he was indeed alive. Maybe it's the cynic in me, or maybe I just call 'em how I see 'em, but I'm gonna jump out the window and say this is just politics as usual. Right or wrong, someone will always be on the opposing side and someone will always be waiting for their opportunity to assume the role of devil's advocate, but the big question is...when does the real work begin and  the lip service end? Probably never, but I'd be interested to hear the same folks suddenly mourning over Bin Laden, provide the same consolation given by his capture to those who lost loved ones on 9/11. I'm pretty sure they couldn't but they can sit back and comment on what shouldn't have happened.

I can be honest and say that I'll rest a little easier at night knowing that the head of Al Qaeda is a goner. Does this mean the end of terrorism? Of course not. But it's a step in the right direction and it's a boost of morale for the country in general. I'm with the President when he says that the message sent was that America can do whatever we want when we put our mind to it. And the President showed that. I've been off the Obama kool aid for a while because I had to stop looking at him as an iconic figure and start assessing him based on the job he was doing as president. This past week I fell in love with my president all over again. He may have just won himself another election and he's most certainly got my vote! Not just because he caught Osama, but because of the way he mandates and governs. He's a boss. I could learn a lot from that man from being smart and strategic, to persistent and unyielding. So could the rest of this country!

What are your thoughts on the capture of Osama Bin Laden?? What are your thoughts on the reaction to it?

No comments: