Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sometimes It Lasts In Love But Sometimes It Hurts Instead

Reactions: 
Please Listen:



I heard that you're settled down,
That you found a girl and you're married now,
I heard that your dreams came true,
Guess she gave you things I didn't give to you


I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited,
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it,
I had hoped you'd see my face,
And that you'd be reminded that for me it isn't over


Never mind, I'll find someone like you,
I wish nothing but the best for you, too
Don't forget me, I beg,
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love,
But sometimes it hurts instead,"


Sometimes it lasts in love
But sometimes it hurts instead

Powerful right?

Every now and again I find an album that I get obsessed with. Right now, it's Adele's "21" album. If you're not familiar with Adele, trust me Google is your friend and if ever there was a time when you needed said friend, it was now to find out more about Adele. But since I'm your friend too, in a manner of speaking, I'll do you the solid of providing a few links within this post.

I first fell for her about 3 years ago while I was channel surfing on the late night. I just so happened to randomly catch the end of Conan O'brien and I lucked into watching Adele perform "Crazy For You" (you can see her perform it live HERE). From then I was hooked. I went and found everything she'd ever recorded for the public and I was a certified fan. Like many of the rest of her fans, I waited patiently for her to release a follow up album to her debut "19" (named for her age at the time) and I was more than satisfied with what she delivered.

Although I'd previously listened to the new album in its entirety, it was during Grey's Anatomy's most recent episode that "Someone Like You" resonated with me as it did. My heart broke listening to the scenario Adele croons about in the song (and talks about in the video above).

Picture this: You break up with the person who you thought you'd spend the rest of your life with, only to go on with your life never finding a love that half way equals the one that got away. Years pass, and you run into your old love only to see that he's not only moved on, but gotten married. He seems to have everything you lack and even longed for with him. You'd hoped that when you reconnected that he'd take one look in your eyes and realize that you still love him just as much as the day he left. Only when you meet him you see that he's happy and the feeling isn't quite mutual.

Kinda heartbreaking, huh?

Read More...


I don't know if it's the extra time I have on my hands since THIS happened or what, but I do know that I've been feeling a lot more compassionate and empathetic lately. There was a time when I would've maybe pitied someone with a bad case of unrequited love but now...I just wonder. I wonder how it would feel to have the love of my life move on and myself embark on a wayward search, for what I once had and will most probably always yearn for. It's sort of a less optimistic take on Erykah Badu's "Next Lifetime". Except in this version, next lifetime is a little too long to wait. It makes me ponder one of life's questions: Do we only get one shot at real  love?

If I listened to two of my favorite fictitious characters, Sonny from a Bronx Tale and Carrie Bradshaw of SATC, I'd think you only had three great loves. I'm not really inclined to believe that there is a limit on the number of loves a person can have during a lifetime, but THAT love - that one and only love...does it exist? And if it does, once we have it and lose it...are we plagued to chase it forever?

What do you think?

*Check out John Legend's cover of Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" HERE. Well worth it! And to listen to Adele's album in its entirety go HERE. #thankmelater

6 comments:

Brandie said...

I guess sometimes people want everything from you even your soul. You have to be able to hold on to something that belongs to you.. Love this!

MISS WHITE said...

Thank you! Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Anonymous said...

I just found out two weeks ago that my ex-girlfriend of nearly four years is now engaged to the guy she cheated on me with...thank you so much for sharing this. It is exactly the song I needed to have right now.
Oh yes and I love your blog.

MISS WHITE said...

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Obviously if she cheated, it probably wasn't meant to be but hurtful still and all. I'm glad (or sad) you related to the song and I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for reading, commenting, and complimenting the blog. ;-)

misswhites#1fan said...

i already loved the song but this post just made me like the song 10x more...thanx miss white....lets hope nobody tries to steal this post ... reword it... and act like they created it lol

MISS WHITE said...

No problem! Thanks for reading and commenting! I see you've been keeping up with the blog by your reference(http://mynameismisswhite.blogspot.com/2011/01/they-say-imitation-is-best-form-of.html) lol. Thanx!