Thursday, March 3, 2011

One Monkey Don't Stop No Show...In This Case: One Job.

Reactions: 
My oh my, has it been an interesting few days. Many changes have been brewing for some time now but I got a push like no other last Friday.

I went in to work. Just like I would on any other routine Friday. Happy for the weekend and just willing myself to get through the last day of a tedious week. About noon, my boss calls me into his office. Prompts me to shut the door. I comply. He motions for me to have a seat. Again, I comply. He then says:

"Onedia, I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to let you go."

Read More...


I give him some variation of the look you're giving the screen right now but I'm not on the verge of a nervous breakdown or anything quite so dramatic. He then goes into the whys of it...something along the lines of him restructuring the office and being unable to "afford" me. He proceeds to tell me how much sleep he's lost over this decision and how he's grappled with it for weeks (all while smiling up in my face ki-ki-ing it up might I add). He tells me he seems more devastated over it than I appear to be. I'm givin' him the look like "Dude? Really? Devastated? I highly doubt it." But I let him do his little song and dance about how sad he is. I tell him: "It's not that I don't care. That's just life. I gotta keep it movin'."

He looked at me like I was crazy, obviously expecting me to break down and either beg him to reconsider or run away crying with my tail between my legs. Not I said the cat. Or in this case, said Miss White. A job is a job is a job. In this day and age, it isn't lost on me how few people are blessed to be employed. Hell, up until about a week ago I was one of 'em. But I do believe everything happens for a reason and I've been in a process of moving closer to my destiny for some time now. Sort of at a crossroads.

It may sound a little cheesy, but I'm beyond the point of caring how my goals and aspirations sound to other people. I'm becoming more of myself and I realize with conviction that I gotta do me. One monkey don't stop no show, and being that I'm the star of mine, I'll call cut when I'm good and ready. And I've just called action.

Everyone that I've told about my being laid off greeted me with a shocked: "OMG!!" or an "Are you okay??" Little did they know that I know an opportunity when I see one. I'm in my final year of undergrad, I'm soon to be pursuing my masters degree, and I'm finding my way as far as career and self fulfillment are concerned. I told my loved ones, "I'm good. When one door closes, another one opens." I'm ready to walk through this door. To take a step towards the rest of my life and where I'm supposed to be. Anyone who is going through this or may have gone through this, all I can say is: Faith in God and in yourself can get you farther than you think. I thank God everyday for mine.

Who knew that losing a job could feel like gaining a future?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Good for you! You are very talented young lady. Thank you for sharing.
Good luck!

MISS WHITE said...

Thank u! I truly appreciate it. This is only the beginning of my story!

Miss B said...

And thts the attitude to have. God is still good. And he has the final say. I'm sure he is preparing u for something beyond ur dreams. Life is a twist and turn and u just have to hold on While maneuvering those twist and turns. U r the perfect driver for ur life. U got this!!!! Love u friend.

harpista said...

You know how they say, something to the effect of 'when God closes a door, he opens a window'...something like that ;) But more importantly, it's his way of giving you the push you need in order to do you wholeheartedly.

NekuH said...

Oooh first thing I thought was unemployment while you focus on school and building your future, lucky girl. Most ppl dread going to work because it hinders what they would rather be doing. Now get both, a check and you time. Use it wisely babe! Besides there are always other jobs that you don't really like to be eventually had... And its bout to be springtime. Again I saw lucky girl and damn near perfect timing. Ain't no thang girl, ain't. No. Than!

MISS WHITE said...

Thanks ladies for the love and positivity. My sentiments match yours exactly! I ain't never been one to stare a gift horse in the mouth! Thanks for reading and commenting as always!

@ Miss B - love u too friend!

jonny penn said...

Ive been fired many times. The last time I was being fired I knew right away because when I walked in my boss' office he told me to leave my coat on. ON TO THE NEXT ONE!

MeMe said...

3 words..... DREAM.BELIEVE.CONQUER.

You got this Miss White & I love your attitude about the whole thing! Good Luck with everything! ;-)

MISS WHITE said...

Johnny Penn - Precisely!

Meme - Thanks a bunch! Preciate ya! ;-)

archie said...

I just read what happened and at first I thought it was a short story you created. You have a positive attitude, and you will be fine

Mel said...

Their loss, your gain!! You sound very focused and you have a bright future ahead of you!! Wish you all the best!!!

MISS WHITE said...

Thanks for reading and commenting, but above all else, thanks for the support!