Monday, February 14, 2011

My Perfect Valentine's Day

Reactions: 
I'm going to start out by saying what most people say regarding this day...I'm not really big on Valentine's Day but still, Happy Valentine's Day! Don't get me wrong, I'm not all "Why do we need 1 day to show someone we love them? I show my lover I love them everyday" blah, blah, blah. It's not that. It's just that I've never had a mind blowingly romantic Valentine's Day, so quite frankly, it's not something I look forward to. Boo hoo for me. Yet, I do recognize that just like birthdays and Christmas, it is a day to make your special someone feel, well, special. The thing that gets me though, is that some people think it takes a lot to make someone feel special but really it doesn't. It doesn't take a lot of money or (rom)antics.  What it does take is thoughtfulness, and the last time I checked, that was free.

Read More...


For Hallmark, Drugstores, and Jewelry stores, Valentine's Day is about the dollars, no doubt. But for the one you love, if your sweetie's like most women I know, it isn't about how much money you spend and what you spend it on. It's about the time you took to figure out exactly what would put that smile on your love's face that seems to make everything go away.

My perfect Valentine's Day wouldn't consist of balloons, flowers, or chocolate.When I think of my perfect Valentine's Day, it would look a little something like this:

Wake up in the morning to a nice card laying on the nightstand beside me. The card putting into words the things my sweetie loves about me that he wishes he were talented enough (well as talented as American Greetings) to convey with words. Then we go about our days as usual, all the while giving passerbys on the street warm smiles, 'cause who knows when the last time they've had someone smile at them, or if they're feeling lonely on this holiday. After the work day, hook up with my love for dinner. Whether it's out at a restaurant or home for a home cooked meal doesn't matter as long as we break bread together. Then maybe some wine and some music and some good ole laughter. Some cuddling and musings of why we're special to one another and topped off with some good love making. I mean what's Valentine's Day without love (making)?

Honestly? That about it. It's not about buying into the whole "what you're supposed to do", or how much money you spend. It's about showing someone better than you can tell them, that this day and everyday, you know how blessed you are to have them.

What does your perfect Valentine's Day look like?

No comments: