Saturday, January 1, 2011

What's Your Problem With MY New Year's Resolution?

Reactions: 
First and foremost: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  I'm thanking God he saw fit for me to make it another year, and the same for anyone who may be reading this right now.  I hope that whatever happened last year, we can take it for what it was, and just leave it there.  In the past where it belongs.

Now that we've reached that time that comes once a year, where people makes their New Year's Resolutions, I'm left asking a question.

Of course there are the standard resolutions: lose weight, stop drinking/smoking, watch finances more wisely, go to church more.  Then there are the more personal, possibly a little more salacious ones like: stop being promiscuous, stop sleeping with that married (wo)man, or get a real job and stop hustling.  Whatever the resolution may be, everyone has something that they want to stop doing, vices that they want to give up, or things they want do better, so what is the problem with New Year's Resolutions?

I have a theory.  Click HERE to read more...


In the days leading up to New Year's, I've seen people complaining and talking about how they hate New Year's Resolutions and they don't "do" them.  That's cool. To each his own.  What I do have a problem with is the fact that they have to down people that do.  Personally, I'm not really into making New Year's resolutions myself.  The fact that a New Year does provide some sort of clean slate, or fresh start isn't lost on me. I just never got into the habit of making them.  Though, I have no problem with people that do.

What I do have a problem with however, are people who always say what they don't do, and imply there's something wrong with people who do.  For example, people who say things like:

"I don't do Facebook and Twitter.  I don't have time.  Some people have way too much time on their hands."


"I'm not into Christmas.  Why do we need one day per year where we buy people gifts?"


"I hate Valentine's Day.  It's just a way to get more money out of people.  Why do we need one day per year where we show people we love them?  They won't be getting my money."

Now granted, there's a ring of truth to these philosophies, and people are entitled to their opinions, no doubt.  I just wonder why people have a problem with something they don't even do.  Why make someone feel bad for reveling in the holiday season, or waiting each year for Valentine's Day to make a loved one feel special?  Or better yet, why make someone feel like a loser because evidently they have enough time for recreational things such as Facebook and/or Twitter?  Better yet, how is demeaning what someone else chooses to do with their time productive?  It's not.

Which brings me back to the problem with resolutions.  I really don't get how the negativity is helpful to someone who plans to use the first day of the year as a start to THEIR new beginning.  If they like it, we should love it. We should be all the more happy for them, that they found the courage to at least make an attempt at a fresh start.  Whether they follow through or not...a wise man once said: It's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.

Don't hate on someone for trying.  If you do, don't be surprised or mad when they hit you with:

If you don't do resolutions, that's cool...but why do you have a problem with mine?

No comments: