Saturday, January 29, 2011

What Are You Talking About? - State Of The Union Commentary

Reactions: 
Can I just say that our President is the man?

Admittedly, I've been off the Obama Kool Aid for a while now. After the emergence of the tea party, and what I found as missed opportunities to dominate the narrative, President Obama was starting to look like the aloof rookie that conservative media portrayed him to be. Yet, in this week's State of The Union address, he showed strength and resolve that I'd all but concluded he was lacking.

Read More...


What struck me the most in his address was his message of innovation and the importance of education. We've all been hearing how important education is from the beginning of our matriculation. We've heard Whitney Houston sing of the children being our future, and Cyndi Lauper belt out words of our "true colors shining through". We are those children. and honestly, I'm not impressed. Sure we have the rarity of Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and the "Google Guys" Larry Page and Sergey Brin, but we need more innovators in order to make a greater impact on the future. When the president spoke of this being our "Sputnik" moment, it reminded me of the opportunites that lie ahead of us and that I could be doing much more to seize them. It made me feel like I could be the next Zora Neale Hurston, Tony Morrison, or Maya Angelou (I'll even take a Teri Woods, Sister Souljah, or Tracy Brown).

I was also reminded of how thankful I should be for the people who've educated me and instilled a healthy thirst for knowledge into my psyche. The president acknowledged the importance of educators and I would like to take the time to do the same. I would also like to take the time to say Thank You to our president for opening up this dialogue and making us think beyond the status quo. And for the record I'd like to state, that I am O-fficially back on that Obama Kool Aid.
 

No comments: