Monday, January 10, 2011

A Funny Thing Happened in Aisle 6 At The Supermarket

Reactions: 
Yesterday I was home chilling, doing what I do on Sundays (which is pretty much nothing).  Round 3ish, I realized dinner was fast approaching and I wanted to make a nice Sunday dinner of Cornish Hens, rice, and some variant of veggie.  So I picked up and headed out to the supermarket.  When I get there, I put on my IPOD and get in a zone.  I've been on a Rihanna kick lately, so I'm all dancing through the store probably looking like a loon but not caring in the least. 

As I'm browsing the shelves (for the life of me I cannot remember what I was deciding between), who walks in the aisle?  My ex best friend and her sister.  Awwwwwkward.....

Read More...


Before I even get to the supermarket, I'm thinking: I hope I don't run into this girl.  We live within a three block radius of one another so it's very likely we would shop at the same supermarket but I don't know why I thought of her on this particular time on this particular day...but I did.  You know what they say about the law of attraction?  Be careful what you put into the universe.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I played a part in her actually being there.  But honestly, what are the odds?  Apparently pretty high.

So what happened?  As soon as I caught sight of her, I turned my back and said "$*&^!!!".  I was so not in the mood for this.  My heart sped up, like it does when something is about to pop off .  Nothing was about to go down because neither of us are ghetto nor classless but one thing about me is that I CANNOT be phony.  It's just not in my makeup.  What was I to do?  Put a smile on my face and say "Hey girl!!  How you been?" 

Let's be real here: If either of us wanted to see how the other has been we would have reached out and we haven't so what does that say?

As her and her sister walk by me, they act oblivious to my presence as well.  We didn't make ANY eye contact but I know they saw me.  I'm not the skinniest chick in the world and quite frankly, I can be described as shapely, voluptous, thick, and/or borderline.  Needless to say, I'm noticeable (and not in a cocky way it just is what it is).  So I'd venture to say she saw me, ignored me, and kept it moving.  For that I was grateful.

Cold Blooded?  Nah just realistic.

I've been wanting to write about the death of a friendship for a while now and I haven't been able to find the words.  After yesterday's encounter, I've concluded that there are no words to describe it.  It just is.  It's sad, and it's an adjustment, but as my 94 year old grandmother has been saying since I can remember...life goes on.  We fell out in September/October (Check out the corresponding post HERE).  I've mourned the friendship and I've accepted it's demise but I have to keep it moving.  I hate to sound cliche, but I must admit that I subscribe to the "reason and a season" axiom and everybody is not meant to be in your life forever.  This doesn't mean that it's always their fault.  Sometimes, it's our burden to bear.  Even still...gotta keep it moving.  Life's too short to harp on what was, or what could have been.  I pay attention to what is.

What say you?

How would you have handled that situation?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I didn't see you AT ALL...my sister thought the person looked like you from the side but wasn't sure and she didn't mention that until we were out of the aisle. If I saw you, I would have just said "hey wassup" because though our relationship isn't the same, I personally don't think a simple, "Hey Wassup" would have been phony nor too much to handle. Just wanted to clear that up...I'm not that petty to see you and PRETEND you weren't there.

MISS WHITE said...

Guess that gives some clarity to the story. You may call it petty...that's cool. I call it not wanting to ruin my Sunday and unsettle my spirit. Appreciate you reading tho, and your comment.

Anonymous said...

I know for fact that she saw you. If you saw her then she saw you. The only difference is that you chose to keep it real while she didn't. I am guilty of doing the same exact thing in the past, so I know first hand. Neither one of you wanted to exchange fake pleasantries, so you both kept it moving.The funny thing is that her sister thought she recognized you when your ex best friend, who should know you inside and out, didn't! Hmmmmmmm?

MISS WHITE said...

Thanx for reading and thanx for your comment!