Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"They Say Love and Insanity are Somewhat Related" Agree??

Reactions: 

Crazy Love lyrics

They say love and insanity
Are somewhat related
The way that they make us act
But baby girl the love between you and me
Is truly the greatest
Though sometimes we hate it
They can't tell me nothing about you
Cuz you're my
Crazy love
Can't tell me nothing about how we do
Cuz we got
Crazy love

Been listening to Neyo's "Crazy Love" on repeat for the past few days, and if you know me by now, you know it got me to thinking...

Read More...


No one wants to walk around claiming insanity. It's not cute at all. But people do some DUMB stuff when they're in love. We should all be able to agree on that. What we won't easily agree on is what constitutes "dumb" behavior.

Time and time again I've had those conversations with girlfriends who've said "it's easy to say what you would do if you were in the situation". That's a fact. It's always easier to judge from the outside looking in. Truth be told, it's always easier to tell someone what they should do as opposed to sorting out our own issues. Logic can tell us that. But when it comes to matters of the heart, some would argue that logic is the last thing that plays a part....

I was on the phone with my girl last night and we were talking about the difference between infatuation and all consuming love. She didn't quite get the difference between being consumed by your love for a man and being infatuated.

My take was when you're infatuated with someone who you aren't in a relationship with, it may be a little annoying to your friends but at the end of the day it's harmless and kinda cute. Being consumed by a man borders on pathetic (just my opinion), especially when it's at the expense of one's self worth.

Self worth is another thing we touched on, which is a concept that should be explored as well. Why is it that when a female exhibits questionable behavior in regards to her dealings with a man, her self worth is often questioned?  Should it be?

That's what the song had me wondering. Who determines a person's self worth? Spectators? The person? Is self worth something that takes a beating when love is concerned? If it is, it makes me question if all rational takes a back seat to love. Which brings me to the question Ne-Yo posed in so many words...

Are love and insanity related?

I would argue they are. They're like not so distant cousins. There aren't many things that people can get away with that have murky explanations but use love as an excuse, and you stand a chance at getting away with it. Love in and of itself is definitely a gray area, to be interpreted by the beholder(s). But even the courts of law recognize "crimes of passion" and "temporary insanity", where love is involved. I would also argue that although love may be the cause of these momentary lapses, they're not excusable. But insanity doesn't ask to be excused...now does it? And love, as we all know, plays by its own rules.

What say you? Are love and insanity related?

No comments: