Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Am I the Pot Calling the Kettle Black?

Reactions: 
It was brought to my attention the other day that I'm a bit of a hypocrite.  As you can imagine, my mouth dropped to the floor in disbelief that someone would have the audacity to suggest something so absurd to me.  I mean it wasn't quite that dramatic, but I was a little taken aback at the suggestion. But then I had to take a step back and ask myself if there was any possibility that her accusation could be true. (I'd say hypocrisy can be described as an accusation in this context.)

This blogging thing can get you into trouble.  I've had people say to me, straight up, "Who were you talking about in your blog?" Me being me, I had to say who it was because one, I'm not a liar and two, if you ask then you must be strong enough to deal with the answer.  That said, by no means do I intentionally put anyone on blast and I never, ever use names.  If someone takes anything I write personal, most likely I'm talking about them and they can't handle my perspective, or they're too sensitive and projecting their feelings onto me and my creative outlet.

The person who accused me of hypocrisy was neither of these.  She was just a loved one calling me out onto the carpet for what she perceived as an issue.

Read More...


I was hanging with my cousin the other day and out of nowhere she says:

"Cousin, I'm really enjoying your blog."

Me: "Really? Thanks cousin. I had no idea you read."

Her: "Yeah.  I've read a few.  You're really good.  I have one problem though.  You contradict yourself."

Me: "Why you say that?"

Her: "'Cause the other day, on your blog, you said that women don't know how to keep in touch with their friends when they get with their man but you do the same thing."

*me with the stupid face*

Me: "How you figure that?  You have my number too.  You know I go to school straight from work and I get home everyday around 10:00."

"Yeah.  I knew you were gonna say that.  I'm just sayin'."

We moved on.

I'll be real and say I don't like being called a hypocrite any more than the next person.  But what I dislike even more than that is actually being one.  I'll admit, even now I don't think that I do what she was accusing me of. Yet, most times when somebody pulls your coat on something, you don't realize it's something you're doing.  Maybe cause, well, you're the one doing it.  More than that, how can we grow if people don't call us out on our s**t?  Whether we agree or disagree, we can still be more conscious of our behavior.

You know?  All that do unto others and yadda yadda yadda.

No comments: